Monday, March 23, 2009
Ancestry
Ancestry and traditions are very precious to me. Pictures and documents that have been handed down, unlock stories of just how my family lived daily life and marked events, with cards and comments, etc. It is like peering through a window into my grandparents lives, feeling as if I have been there. Even the smallest details catch my eye and heart. What were they thinking? How did they handle the depression, the wars or the deaths of their babies? I have the Bible that belonged to my paternal grandmother, Mollie (1883-1952) She passed away a few months after my birth. Nestled safely in her Bible is a devotional daily reading for the Christmas season before her death. Ah! Now I can visualize some of her final days, possibly praying for her husband or neighbor. She must have been moved and strengthened by God's Word, after all, she had to cope with daily injections for diabetes; she had lost her infant granddaughter while caring for her; she had buried her daughter; and yes, there were the remnants of good and bad decisions to weigh. How I wish I could speak to her today and tell her how much it meant to me, to discover her reading plan! "Grandma, I read those same passages and they mean so very much to me," I'd say. Oh, my peek through this window causes me to wonder, what do others see when they peer through mine!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment