Thursday, March 12, 2009
Multi-tasking
My life has forever been about multi-tasking, always trying to accomplish six things at a time. When I look at the books on my shelves it is evident that I bit off more than I could chew on occasion. While reading and researching to tackle topics of importance I often multi-tasked to the point of exhaustion. And, I'm not sure I fulfilled the tasks successfully. Multiple areas pull me forward, tugging at my heart and drawing my attention - so, I try to pull off a job well done.
I have focused on pleasing God, parenting skills, organization, patriotism, spiritual leadership, health studies, my role as a wife, etc., sometimes all at one time!
But today I was given an assignment from the Lord that will require some real multi-tasking. He really spoke to my heart concerning Nehemiah, Chapter four. The Jews were rebuilding the Wall of Jerusalem. Their enemys were watching and waiting, eager to attack. But the Jews made their prayer to God and set a watch against them day and night.
Much work was required to build the wall because the people had to simultaneously protect themselves and their labor. Verses 16 and 17 say, "So it was, from that time on, that half of my servants worked at construciton, while the other half held the spears, the shields, the bows, and wore armor; and the leaders were behind all the house of Judah. Those who built on the wall, and those who carried burdens, loaded themselves so that with one hand they worked at construction, and with the other held a weapon." Talk about multi-tasking!
There is a difference in receiving direction from the Lord about a task that seems overwhelmingly difficult. It's not! He supplies supernatural strength and stamina, just when it is needed. I can build a wall in His Kingdom and at the same time prayerfully protect my work. I can build a wall with my words and actions while being very alert to the plans of the enemy. My 'spiritual' shield, armor, bow and spear will be powerful because of His power, not mine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment