Saturday, May 16, 2009

Reflections


Fifteen years ago while awaiting our first grandson, my daughter gave me a "Your Life Story in Your Own Words" book to fill in. This is a book filled with questions about your childhood, youth, life, and family history. We are now awaiting grandchild number fourteen, and between our children's families, I have three different versions of this type of journaling book to complete. At first this seemed like an overwhelming task, but I have found it to be really relaxing and enjoyable. Walking down memory lane, since most of my family remembrances are good ones, causes me to re-live some of my days - feelings, visions, smells, laughter and tears.

On the other hand, stopping to review my lifetime in the context of 'serving God and man', reveals I've come up short. Life on this earth is very brief. "What profit has a man from all his labor in which he toils under the sun? One generation passes away, and another generation comes; But the earth abides forever." (Ecclesiastes 1: 3, 4) Well, if God's Word is my standard today, I need to yield to its command to serve. Galatians 5: 13 instructs, "For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another." And, Romans 12: 11 reminds, "not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord..." God willing I hope to have many more days to add to my collection of reflections. I am living out the responses to the questions yet unanswered. Thank you Lord, for a new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...