While organizing a file cabinet this week, I came across a paper I wrote in 1989 for a college communications class I was taking. We were instructed to write on our "favorite place". As I read again the words, I realized how days and years have changed before my eyes, so quickly.
My Favorite Place - November 2, 1989
I have taken numerous trips and vacationed from the East Coast visiting Cape Cod, Massachusetts where I imagined the excitement of the early settlers as they established their lives in the new land, to the West Coast, touring Los Angeles, California where I was totally immersed in the busyness of the area, freeways, and crowded tourist lines. The salt water of the Atlantic, the high tides of the Gulf of Mexico and chilly waves of the Pacific Ocean have provided thrills and an awesome respect for nature.
But, there is one place, one environment, which I chose to call my favorite, my home. My home provides a vast array of entertainment and emotional fulfillment.
Many folks say, "Variety is the spice of life," and variety is certainly a main characteristic in my home. There are occasions of quiet gentleness when my daughters, like velvety baby kittens, just sit and share their thoughts, eagerly waiting to be stroked and assured that they are cared about and loved. Then suddenly, lunging into the room comes my son, aggressively looking for physical confrontation, someone with whom to wrestle, as he enters, abundant life fills the house.
Classical music climbs from the piano keys in the living room while the family room pounds with rock, computer keys click in the office, and the printer gushes forth with streams of reports, lists and reminders.
As the aroma of potato soup, hot rolls, and apple pie fill the air my husband and children gravitate, without specific invitation, to the kitchen with inquisitive eyes toward the clock. Is it time for dinner?
Yes, variety is an absolute in my home. I have truly enjoyed the beauty of our country, the refreshing sea air and water, the awesomeness of the Grand Canyon, the barren deserts providing their own unique granduer. But the busyness - quietness - warmth - and unexpected anticipation of what will occur from one moment to the next, is what makes my home my favorite place to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment