Sunday, June 7, 2009

Abide With Me



Abide is a lovely word. This verb means to remain, continue, stay, to continue in a particular attitude or relationship. I don't hear this word often in conversations but it is found in God's Word many times. I somehow feel close, connected, comforted and shielded when I think about abiding with God and in God. No matter what the circumstances are in our lives we are told to abide in Christ and I find abiding with Him a very sweet experience.

He is constant, He is sure, and He is love. A line found in the old hymn, Abide With Me, by H.F. Lyte, is "O Thou who changest not, abide with me!" Life changes, age changes, careers change, nations change - but He does not change.

Two passages that are extremely meaningful to me are John 15: 4 and 5 - "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches, He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing," and I John 2: 28, "And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...