Thursday, January 14, 2010
Flour? Tree? Me?
My prayerful focus as 2010 began has been, "I want to be more useful for the Master," II Timothy 2: 20 and 21. So, I find myself meditating daily about what makes me useful and prepared for every good work. Basically, I'm an organized and perfectionist type. This can pose a problem. The ladder I try to climb in fulfilling my goals, is pretty steep, maybe even unrealistic.
Several passages in God's Word are a reminder that God will use me to add salt to our society because "He is God!" He doesn't measure my usefulness with the same indicators I use. In II Kings 4: 40 and 41 God used flour to purify a pot of deathly stew. Salt, used by Elisha in II Kings 2: 19-21, was the means for purifying water. God moved mightily when He heard Moses cry for help. The Lord showed Moses a tree. When he cast it into the bitter drinking water, the waters were made sweet, Exodus 15: 24-26.
Amazing! God can take this clay vessel and shine it up. When I am willing to be useful God is patient with my imperfections. Then, in spite of those weaknesses, He can use my words, smiles, prayers and actions to season my surroundings for His work and glory. Flour? Yes. Tree? Yes. Me? Yes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment