Friday, July 8, 2011

The Householder's Psalm



By nature I am a list maker, analyzer, measuring-stick kind of woman. I hold myself to a pretty strict standard, wishing to improve. Yes, even to a fault, I must admit. My current memorization project is Psalm 101, New King James version. When I take scripture to memory I apply it as my yardstick and quiz myself. How am I doing at 'living out' these verses?

The chosen subject of this psalm is God's mercy and judgment as it applies to our home or kingdom over which we are responsible. For David, he had multi-regions of responsibility. I love Matthew Henry's description of this chapter. He calls Psalm 101, "The Householder's Psalm". David's Holy Spirit inspired words have been pushing and prodding me for days. I'm standing along side my personal measuring tape. Oh dear, I'm glad there is a 'mercy' segment within this tool of measurement! But I continue to be zealous about reforming my own heart, with God's help.

"I will sing of mercy and justice; To You, O Lord, I will sing praises. I will behave wisely in a perfect (blameless) way. Oh, when will You come to me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.

I will set nothing wicked (worthless) before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; It shall not cling to me. A perverse heart shall depart from me; I will not know wickedness.

Whoever secretly slanders his neighbor, Him I will destroy; The one who has a haughty look and a proud heart, Him I will not endure. My eyes shall be on the faithful of the land, That they may dwell with me; He who walks in a perfect (blameless) way, He shall serve me. He who works deceit shall not dwell within my house; He who tells lies shall not continue in my presence. Early I will destroy all the wicked of the land, That I may cut off all the evildoers from the city of the Lord." Psalm 101

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...