Tuesday, July 26, 2011

If only I could talk with you...


My Grandparents
 I am standing behind my Grandma in the brown leather jacket
If only I could talk to my Grandfather Churchman....Since you lived across the street from me all the years of my life until you were received into your heavenly Father's presence in 1969, I had the privilege of spending my childhood and teen years in your company. How I wish I could talk to you today. My lengthy list of questions and comments would reveal my admiration of you. My observations of your life provide me insight into what you might have been praying about and pondering over, as I approached while you were sitting on the aluminum glider on your porch that overlooked the river barges, train tracks and steel mill columns releasing the tiny particles of graphite through the air.

I think you were pondering the state of mankind. Probably your prayers for your adult children, their spouses, grandchildren and great-grandchildren filled many hours. And since you had to endure the amputation of your leg and the many challenges required by the loss, there must have been prayers for continued courage and strength.

Being born in 1894, you witnessed drastic life changes while living through good and tragic economies, wars, weddings and funerals of infant grandchildren. Yes, Grandpap, we currently struggle with economies and unsure conditions, life goes on.

After coming to the Lord when you were around thirty years of age your own personal worldview was reformed, which must have provided upheaval in some relationships. Grandpap Churchman I would pose questions like: how difficult was it to build faith when you were grieving the deaths of your two grandsons? please tell me how God brought comfort and release to your wearied heart on those days when trouble looked overwhelming? when you had occasion to thank the Lord for answered prayer and victories, how did you celebrate the joy? Grandpap, I would tell you how precious my memories are of the times we sang duets at church. I certainly would express my awareness of the consistent witness of Christ-like character obvious to this granddaughter. Well, I continue to miss you and the example you lived out before my eyes. I treasure the powerful legacy of love, grace, and endurance left behind. If only I could thank you...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...