Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Leadership
Books on leadership are in abundance and there are many good ones. The classic, Spiritual Leadership, by J. Oswald Sanders, is never out-dated. I've read it several times and given copies as gifts over time. I think Nehemiah presents an excellent model for strong leadership. Some of his qualities are apparent throughout the thirteen chapters of this book.
Vision Nehemiah sought God's supernatural wisdom for a vision, a plan for his people.Chapter 1: 4 So it was, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned for many days; I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven. He went on in the following verses and presented his case to God on behalf of his people. Then when given the opportunity to begin the rebuilding of the wall, he began the work. Do we have a vision for our home and family? A big picture is vital to how we live our days because the world has so many distractions to confuse us or cause us to push the pause button.
Dedication Nehemiah was committed to his vision. Men conspired against his intent but he persevered. Actually he had to go to extraordinary measures to protect the wall and the builders. Chapter 4 explains how the workers had to hold spears, shields, bows and wear armor while laboring. Likewise, we find ourselves having to protect our families and homes as we work so hard to represent the character of God.
Follow-Through Nehemiah's job was huge. At times it was daunting. Chapter 3 gives detailed information on the geographical area repaired and built, mentioning each gate, wall, tower, etc. Verse 1 mentions starting the process at the Sheep Gate and the last verse 32, we find ourselves back at the Sheep Gate. Obviously a thorough and exhausting effort. Reading through all thirteen chapters we see some of the people reverted back to ungodly ways, but he did not veer from the big picture. In the last chapter 13, he continues to organize details, exhort, correct and rebuke the sin. He followed through, always leading.
Many Christian homes are prayerfully focused on raising up Nehemiahs in their families. These family units need our prayer and support. And they are watching you and I, hopefully we can reflect God's wisdom and leadership.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment