Saturday, June 9, 2012
Got Any Rivers?
Decades ago when I attended our church youth group we sang a song called, “Got Any Rivers?” It went like this:
Got any rivers you think are uncrossable?
Got any mountains you can’t tunnel through?
God specializes in things thought impossible
He’ll do what no other power can do
My childhood home was situated close to the Monogahela River. Within my view were the railroad cars servicing the steel mill that bordered the river on both sides. And barges filled with coal traveled the waters seven days a week. I sat and watched river barges carry cargo through the waters, always wondering about their final destination. Curious about the path the river traveled, I would daydream about where I could visit if I was one of the workers on a barge.
As years come and go there are many rivers that carry each of us from one destination to another. Some of the arrival points please us and others are not of our choosing. Rivers that wind through challenging health, aging, loss and sadness are difficult and lonely at times. But the ever present spirit of God traverses with us - spirit to spirit, heart to heart. Got any rivers you think are uncrossable? He’ll do for you, what no other power can do.
Photo Janet Fulmer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment