Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Have We Lost Our Hunger?
I’ve been studying the ancestry history of my and my husband’s family tree connections as to the conditions of their arrival in the United States in the 1700’s. I am stirred by the backgrounds and their reasons for the relocation from Germany, Wales, Ireland and England. If I had to sum up the impetus for the long, arduous journey out of their homeland to pioneer a new territory, the strain of similarity seems to be a hope and vision for a freedom to worship and work hard to provide peace and substance for their families.
I’m sure the hunger of our ancestors for freedom supplied the needed strength to survive while being exhausted of their money, water, food and health during the ocean and wind tossed travel by ship. The ships were crowded, unsanitary and eventually populated by many sick and diseased fellow travelers.
Now I find myself wondering, is there a similar hunger in the hearts of present day believers. Are we willing to sacrifice our personal comfort to maintain religious freedom in our country? At times do we not vocalize our biblical principles to our friends and co-workers because a cost might be required of us? Have we cowered to philosophies of unbelievers out of fear for our standing in a community? Is it possible we have even let a watered-down theology become a part of our worldview? I hope my thoughts are far from reality or could it be true, “Are we really not as hungry as our ancestors to freely live for God?”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment