I discovered
this poem in William J. Bennett’s, The
Book of Virtues, published in 1993. Hannah Flagg Gould 1789 – 1865 penned
this poem. I coincidently am attending a Bible study and our topic this week
included James 4: 13, 14, Come now, you
who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year
there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; whereas you do not know what will happen
tomorrow. For what is life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time
and then vanishes away.
So with
brevity of life in the forefront of my mind, I found this writing filled with
the challenge to continue my pondering. How I am grateful to my Father, my
Shepherd, for His grace, mercy and yes, reward!
Alone I walked the ocean strand;
A pearly shell was in my hand;
I stooped and wrote upon the sand
My name-the
year-the day.
As onward from the spot I passed,
One lingering look behind I cast;
A wave came rolling high and fast,
And washed
my lines away.
And so, methought, ‘twill shortly be
With every mark on earth from me:
A wave of dark oblivion’s sea
Will sweep
across the place
Where I have trod the sandy shore
Of time, and been, to be nor more,
Of me-my day-the name I bore,
To leave nor
track nor trace.
And yet, with Him who counts the sands
And holds the waters in His hands,
I know a lasting record stands
Inscribed
against my name,
Of all this mortal part has wrought,
Of all this thinking soul has thought,
And from these fleeting moments caught
For glory or
for shame.
I've copied Hannah's poem and left a note that I would love this to be my eulogy...thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete