And it began… the arrival of grandchildren. How my heart rejoiced!
Simultaneously though I wondered, “Just how do I ‘become’ a grandmother?” How do
I communicate with the new ones and their parents? Do I talk more or less, be
more present or less present?
Each precious gift of God was perfect to my
grandmother heart. As I meandered through the discovery process, I started
feeling more comfortable. My mind began to dream. I envisioned having tea
parties with my precious granddaughters.
Ahhh, my dream began…Sydney, Zoë, and
Haley…followed closely behind by Timmie, Ashley, Megan, Macy, Tessa, Janie, Jacque and Kaylea. My life could hardly be more wonderfully full.
My invitation went out to
the girls. Right on cue each little miss would arrive, speaking in hushed tones,
some were even totally silent. It was as though they inertly thought it best to
be ‘very lady-like’. I imagine their moms had little chats with them before
coming to my home, but my sweet little ladies were stunning in their desire to
do and say everything just right. I smile as I write, hugging every memory I
have.
Small white gloves, hair bows, ribbons and sometimes hats accessorized
their carefully chosen party dresses. At times they were adorned in necklaces.
My little grands fussed over their dresses as they sat, trying to be ‘all
grownup’. I used cloth napkins each time so they would see Grandma knew they
were very big girls.
The year Ashley turned two we began a new tradition. My
Mother, Grandma Lois, moved to Arkansas and attended our special afternoon with
us. I will always be thankful for the memories made with her.
As the years
passed my blessing basket grew, Dawn and Joanna joined our traditional Tea
Family get-together.
We learned a lot about each other as we talked and laughed.
I was amazed how much each of the girls matured between our annual teas. One of
the richest parts of my life as a grandma was discovering each of the girls
unique personalities. Ten granddaughters and ten beautiful, God given DNA’s with
individual charm and magnetism.
Older siblings would ‘show the ropes’ to the
younger one when she was old enough to attend her first tea. Like every other
family, dresses were handed down to younger sisters and cousins. It’s cute to
see, looking back at old photos, one cousin showing up for the big day in a
dress that attended the party a previous year.
I enjoy having a theme each time.
One time I had photos of each girl and she would randomly place hers on the
buffet in no particular order. This created what I called a ‘puzzle’, indicating
each picture was a part of completing our special family puzzle. Our family is
unique. We all intentionally show our love and support to each other.
Two years
we had a ‘show and tell’ theme. We each shared a memory as we displayed our
treasure. In 2021 our first tea since Grandma Lois passed away, a few dear ones
brought special items that were linked to their relationship with her.
One
February we had a love theme. I particularly enjoyed decorating the table for
that tea. I made a little craft heart for each of my sweethearts. A few years
after our Maddox girl’s home fire I made them another since they lost theirs.
There were only seven lasses the time we sang and played the finger games to
“Little Cabin in the Wood” and “Here is the Church.” Oh, what sweet moments! I
could go on and on with vignettes that mean so much. I'm sure each lovely
granddaughter has her own reflections.
Another opportunity awaits, in a matter
of days we will celebrate another tea experience. We have shared laughs, tears,
dreams, struggles and so much love for two decades. One of my greatest joys is
the privilege of seeing and knowing the heart of each, as she walks through
seasons of her life. The highest honor of my life is spending cherished time
with my Granddaughters, Daughters and Mother.
I am savoring my place in our
family, embracing each day of their lives. Praying for their concerns, needs,
health and futures is my pleasure. I continue to learn more about being a
Grandma, sometimes unbeknownst to the girls, they are teaching me.

No comments:
Post a Comment