
For those of you who study God's Word on a regular basis or have been a Christian for many years, I'm sure I would find agreement that the same verse can be read hundreds of times and be equally stirring with each reading. Years ago as a new believer I memorized verses that are foundational to the Christian faith. Today I find myself leaning upon the same blocks of that foundation. Yet, the verses have a deeper meaning as time and life's experiences accumulate. One of those verses is Matthew 11: 28, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest". God is the provider of a rest that cannot be understood without a faith in Him. My faith in the Godhead is clear, but I still find it hard to explain the profound and miraculous strength that can come into the midst of a struggle or wilderness experience. This week I have found extraordinary comfort in one of the earliest passages I studied as a young girl.
"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever. Psalm 23
"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever. Psalm 23
No comments:
Post a Comment