Saturday, March 20, 2010
Yes to Discretion
There is no lack of direction and guidance on the topic of prayer in God's Word. His model prayer found in Matthew, chapter six is just a beginning point. We are reminded to forgive others before we pray, to pray in secret at times, to pray without ceasing, and the information goes on and on. In coordination with prayer I lean heavily on asking for the wisdom of God as I pray: "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally.....", James 1: 5a. I have been studying some of the essays written by C. S. Lewis. In his essay titled, "Work and Prayer", Lewis states the case as to 'why God has retained a discretionary power of granting or refusing prayer.' It didn't take much reading of this essay for me to agree with the author.
When looking back over years of prayers whether they were statements of faith or pleadings, I see my very limited scope. Simply put, I know in part. I see dimly. Actually, if prayers were answered exactly as I requested over my lifetime, I could have created quite a few messes. Thanks to our all-wise, all-seeing and all-powerful God for His discretion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment