Monday, April 1, 2013

Struggles of the Heart

 
1. Disappointment

Christian women are aware of hidden struggles of the heart. God made no error in creating the woman. He designed us just as He planned. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. Not the same or identical though. Each of us has our very own DNA. The fingerprint we carry is unique. But His creation of the tendencies of womankind, reveals similar needs and desires and yearnings.  
I try to keep my postings brief since I’ve discovered most of us don’t read long blogs. We may skim over a lengthy post to grab some highlights, but we don’t usually have time to follow long blog entries. I hope I can maintain that personal standard because I am beginning a series that has been stirring in my heart for some time. And there is so much to say on each topic.  As I begin “Struggles of the Heart”, I want to consider “Disappointment”.
Our masterfully formed mind and heart generate a vision for our lives. Usually we develop a “rose-colored” vision. We walk through our days nourishing that dream. Much of our effort is spent on loving, serving and protecting whoever is in our life and home. Most of us find it easy to put our spouse, children and grandchildren first. So we invest our energy influencing them toward a righteous, godly life. Hoping our loved ones all come to know the Christ, we try to set an example, even though we struggle individually toward obedience every moment.
We long to nurture kindness, honesty, self-control and love. And so much is squeezed into that ‘rose-colored’ dream. We hope to model good and contributory citizenship. And, of course, service to the local church is so important to complete our vision.
Then the unsuspected jolts come. Our marriage relationship lacks some of the aspects that we dreamed about for years. A son or daughter rejects our love or worse yet, the love of God. A child is born with a handicap; we wonder how this could have happened?
We lose a job. Our homes don’t meet the needs of our family. We find ourselves single when we had painted a totally different picture. The possibilities for disappointment go on and on.
Our disappointed heart aches. It cries. It grieves. We feel so alone, so hopeless. Sometimes we can share our discomfort with a trusted friend or pastor. But when the light goes out and our head rests on the pillow, it is just ‘me and the Lord.’ When the music, television or computer is off and the house is piercingly quiet, we are face to face with our Savior. He is our hope for healing. He is our provider of strength. He is the One who soothes.
Please share with me your thoughts and experiences as you walked through disappointment. Your path of comfort and victory can help another.
Psalm 139: 1-3, 13, 14
O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. …For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...