“For though
I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win
the more…” I Corinthians 9: 19
How best to
serve? When to serve? Are there opportunities to serve that I am missing? I
often consider these questions. All too often I come to the realization the
opportunity to help has passed. Recently
I sat in the church choir room as a plea was made to ring the Salvation Army
bell for two hours at the local grocery store. The wonderful gentleman who initially
volunteered to brave the weather conditions and ring the bell, unexpectedly had
a medical need that would prevent his service. Without hesitation and before
the plea for help was barely uttered, a married couple sitting nearby raised
their voices with an eager, “Yes, we will take his place.”
Their immediate willingness was so inspiring. Serving
others is such a powerful testimony of God’s residence within our hearts. It occurred to me that I have missed chances to
come to the aid of another by not thinking quickly enough. As a rule my prayers
contain a request for the Lord’s wisdom. My desire is to be a worthy representative
of my Father. If I want His countenance to
be reflected on my face and His character to be exhibited in my actions, what better
way to affirm fellow believers and win those who are still searching for the
Savior than to serve?
No comments:
Post a Comment