Saturday, February 13, 2010

Beauty of the Word


My age becomes transparent as I recall the poetry I was required to memorize in elementary and junior high school. I really enjoyed the beauty of "September" by Helen Hunt Jackson (1830-1885).
"The golden rod is yellow;
The corn is turning brown;
The trees in apple orchards
With fruit are bending down........
As I recited this poem I could visualize the colorful setting and imagine walking through a field observing each shade of color and aroma offered there. And, I think all of us had to memorize at some point Robert Frost's, "The Road Not Taken".
"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.......

This poem stirred deeper thought within. But, the most beautiful, delightful and poetic words I find are in the Word of God. My hope and prayer is that I will be reciting some of His beautiful words as I lie on my death bed one day. To be poetic means 'displaying the beauty' of something. To be uttering His words during that special rite of passage into His presence, would be truly poetic.

"I will lift up my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade at your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord shall preserve you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul. The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in from this time forth and even forevermore." Psalm 121

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...